Sunday, March 6, 2011

My new favorite way to eat eggs


I'm slowly cooking my way through Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table; you might have seen a few mentions of it around here. In her recipe for Bacon and Eggs and Asparagus Salad, she talks about a wonderful technique for extra flavorful soft-boiled eggs. The salad, of course, is great. How could you go wrong with those ingredients over a bed of nice greens? But these eggs are something special--slightly gooey yolks plus the smokiness of bacon fat, and sweetness of toasted nuts make a delightfully easy and gourmet topping to your salad, piece of toast, or whatever you wish.

Basically, soft-boil a few eggs and peel them. Toast some nuts in a dry skillet or oven and finely chop them. I've used pecans and hazelnuts because that's what I've had in my pantry lately, but I'm sure pistachios, pine nuts, walnuts, or whatever your heart desires will be an equally wonderful combination. Melt a pat of bacon fat in a small pan over medium-low heat. Gently roll the peeled soft-boiled eggs around in the bacon fat and then roll them in the chopped nuts.


That's it. Totally easy, right? It would probably be a bad move for my cholesterol to eat these everyday, but I've definitely considered it. The first time I made these I put it over some spinach leaves that I had sprinkled with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar; I love the way the soft yolks mix in with the dressing. So go ahead and give it a try... this may become your favorite way to eat eggs, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment